Tuesday 2 December 2014

for anyone who has ever fallen in love with Cape Breton

There's something about Cape Breton Island that always stays with you. For me, I have been influenced by the rugged western coast of Cape Breton Island – dramatic sunsets, the pounding ocean surf, untouched forests, narrow dirt roads winding past century-old farmhouses, spending summers at the beach with family and friends. My childhood home of Cape Breton Island inspires me – always. Cape Breton is an unforgettable place. It is beauty, simplified. The collection I've created is for anyone who loves Cape Breton.
 

Let me tell you about some of my printed designs.


Cape Breton photography – mainly the west coast. My photos are printed on giclee archival paper. This gives the image a watercolour look. I've tried every kind of photo paper and this is by far, my favourite. I often have my photos printed as a standard 5x7 or 8x10 or I design the Island style image (below).









 


People who know and love Cape Breton Island, know and love the shape of the island. It's immediately apparent" to those in the know" where the image was taken. I illustrated this outline of Cape Breton Island. It can be seen in all of my Cape Breton designs.   





  

Small town love print – Inverness
   





Small town love prints – my hometown, Inverness. This print is 5x7 in an 8x10 matte, ready to be framed. I recently designed one as a wedding gift - the couple was from Cape Breton (Cape Bretoners in love). The image included a heart in each of their hometowns with their wedding date. Customers have ordered their hometown plus current home, a place they visited & loved and special locations for loved ones. Some people have requested the lakes be included and although I may do this in the future, for now, I simply want to show the outline of Cape Breton Island (I love how it almost looks like a heart).



The Cape Breton Calendar, along with greeting cards, were the first pieces in my 2011/2012 Cape Breton collection. They are 4"x9", a sweet size that takes up minimal wall space. The images are unique every year with the 2015 year featuring Margaree, Broad Cove, Inverness, Magic Cove and Mabou. 

 









A very small sampling of the 2014 Holiday Greeting Card collection. I had so much fun creating these cards. Last year I designed a few typographic cards. This year, over 40! Plus, winter scenes like the Red Barn in Black River at the bottom left. I will start selling my cards online in 2015. I mostly sell the cards in person at the markets I attend or through places like the Inverness County Centre for the Arts or the Inverness Bearpaw.  My cards have come a long way... The first cards I created, in 2000, were photos glued to card stock and personally signed.

 



I'll have my entire collection (including tshirts, onesies, aprons & toques) with me at:

The Mabou Christmas Market
Dalbrae Academy 

Sunday, December 7, 11 - 3

Last Minute Christmas Craft Show
Maritime Hall, Halifax Forum
Saturday, December 13, 11 - 6
Sunday, December 14, 10 - 5

Online: 
missbrenna.bigcartel.com
Free pickup or drop off locally. Just message me. 

etsy.com/ca/shop/missbrenna

Have a great day...



No comments:

Post a Comment