Monday 3 December 2012

Cape Breton Collection

I started selling Cape Breton photo cards and framed photos in the year 2000. I can't believe it has been that long! I used to print photos at the Superstore and glue the photos to blank cards. It was quite tedious. Since that time, I've studied photography & graphic design and now use a digital camera, Photoshop and InDesign to create my missbrenna designs.

I'm truly excited about my newest collection – the Cape Breton collection. There is no place on the planet that inspires me to take photos the way Cape Breton does. This summer I fell in love with West Mabou. What a gorgeous piece of heaven! 
West Mabou on the best beach day of the summer the third week of August.
West Mabou trail the long weekend in September at the tail end of a hurricane.
I'm always amazed at the way the colour, sky and seasons intermingle. It often means that the photos captured are rarely the same. This is true of most places but there's something special about the Cape Breton sky. Last weekend (Nov 24, 2012), for example, I took a walk along the Inverness beach and boardwalk without my camera. I knew I'd regret it! The beach grass was a vibrant yellow, while the ocean was grey and rolling and the sky was moody but bright. It was freezing cold, but I couldn't let the beauty last as just a memory. I walked back to my car to get my camera and walked the windy boardwalk again. The dog was definitely confused.
Inverness Boardwalk late November - windy and cold but beautiful.
My newest collection features Mabou, Inverness, Broad Cove and Lake Ainslie in the 2013 Cape Breton calendar. The calendar measures 4.25" x 8" - a nice size that doesn't take up much precious wall space and are available for $15 or 2 for $25 in my online store or by sending me an email. This is a limited edition run - only 50 are available this year (25 of each design). I can mail the calendars (free shipping) or deliver them in person in Halifax (or my mom can in Cape Breton...hope she doesn't mind ; ). Images from each calendar are below.

Version 2 includes different photography for the months of April through October.
Some of the Cape Breton Island images featured in the calendars and as photographic art cards.
Cape Breton Island cards for greetings or simply framed as a gift or for yourself. I often frame greeting cards or place them as is on a bookshelf. Cards are $4 or 4 for $15.

If you have a request, please let me know. For example, any of my photos can be printed as metallic prints or giclee (framed or unframed).

Lots of ways to get in touch.

email: missbrenna23@gmail.com 
online shop: http://missbrenna.bigcartel.com
facebook: missbrenna

 

1 comment:

  1. The emigration information was new to me, and relevant to my erstwhile reconstruction of early McFadyen families in Cape Breton. I'm particularly interested in attempting to uncover their places of origin. cape breton cottage rentals

    ReplyDelete