Monday 15 October 2012

Nocturne 2012

Nocturne is an annual event held in October in Halifax. 2012 marked the 5th anniversary. For many people, it's their favourite Halifax festival. Personally, I LOVE it. I've gone every year. It's exciting to see so many people fill the streets of Halifax. The vibe is electric. There's dancing, music, paintings, mobile art, interactive displays, installations. There were 5 zones this year. My friend Amber and I made it to 2 zones - downtown Halifax and the waterfront. I would have loved to get to more. These are some of my photos from Nocturne 2012!
Dance at Night: I've tried to see this type of performance the last few years but the indoor space was always too full. What a great way for everyone to enjoy the dancing. Serpentine Studios this was beautiful to watch. I could have stayed all evening.
Below Serpentine Studios was Boutique Hair & Makeup for FREE! What a fun idea. 

Girls on the left, guys on the right. Inside there were televisions & video cameras set up to view what the opposite sex was doing on the other side. We went early in the night but I'm sure as it got busier it got interesting.
I loved the Khyber artwork, laughing bar and Nocturne lager. The paintings above are so huge. Posters from Khyber's past.
A laughing bar at the Khyber. Here's the menu. Order what you want and the the laughtenders laugh it up! The sounds of laughter emptied out onto Barrington Street. Crazy awesome.
I had a chance to try the Nocturne Dark Lager - yum - just before it sold out : ) I hope I can buy more at Propellor.
Lots of letterpress keepsakes at Dawson Print and Inkwell. I really should try to take a class. 
Food trucks are becoming pretty popular in Halifax. Downtown, near Grand Parade on Argyle Street is Nomad Gourmet. Nick Horne is the owner and honestly, he's as nice as the food is good. Try it. Support him if you're downtown. In addition, Food Wolf is another delicious and healthy food truck in town. 

This is such an incredible piece. It's called "Pound" and was on display at Seeds Gallery near the Seaport Market. Sadly it fell over and the right side broke into a number of pieces about 10 minutes after I took this photo.
One of my favourite parts of the night was Move! Halifax Circus in St. Mathew's Church.
Retro Robots, Rockets and Ray Guns Shoppe. Amber and me at the robot photo booth. Guns beat scissors I think.
A Barrington Street Dance Party! Amber and I were craving a dance party and what do you know, a cart carrying speakers and music appeared across the street from us. SOOOO awesome! Best way to end the night...just before some wine at Obladee : )

4 comments:

  1. Brenna! This looks amazing! I had NO idea this was going on... I'll have to be sure to take in some of the fun next year!
    Photos are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rachel! You'll have to come to Halifax next year for Nocturne. It's usually the weekend after Thanksgiving on a Saturday night. Lumiere is a similar event in Sydney, usually the weekend before Thanksgiving. Lumiere has been around 2 years although it's a bit smaller than Halifax.

    If you're in Halifax the last weekend of October, this looks like a fun event, City Harvest - http://www.ilovelocalhfx.ca/v1/?p=589

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shots Brenna! Would you mind if we used a couple of your shots? With credit of course!

    Laura Selenzi
    Serpentine Studios

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura,
    Thank you!! I wouldn't mind at all if you used a couple of shots. I do have a few more of Serpentine Studios dancers from Nocturne. You can send me an email if you'd like more shots or higher resolution : ) missbrenna23@gmail.com

    Brenna

    ReplyDelete